Tuesday, April 19, 2011

April 18th

I'm Back. Had a bit of a technology time out as school got down to crunch time with a bunch of assignments and tests and that. I still have one exam left but its in a week so no worries. Rugby training has been going very well and I've started doing contact and the knee feels great, no problems at all. I actually just got back from a practice with the Ontario Blues; the mens provincial team. I was surprised to be asked out so early after my return to play but went out and felt pretty good. It was a good fast paced session and I held my own. I still have a lot of work to do to get back to the level I was playing at before the injury but I'm fairly happy with how things have gone so far. That was my workout for today and I have a club practice tomorrow night so just have to rest up for that. Here's what I ate today:

10am Muesli with soy milk
1pm Smoothie - pineapple, mixed berries, soy milk, spinach, flax meal; vitamins (multi,b,c,fish oil)
5:30pm Homemade Vegan Quesadilla
Gatorade during and after training
10:30pm Stir fry - red and green peppers, chilli peppers, green onion, carrot, edamame, peanuts, natural peanut butter, pineapple, noodles
12am fish oil capsule

Its about a week since I've decided to go vegan prior to the start of my season. I ate a lot while training to develop size and strength so now that I'm just maintaining strength and focusing on being healthy and energetic for rugby I decided to go back to veganism for a bit. I feel much healthier without the animal products in my diet and I'm losing fat which isn't the goal but a nice bonus. I feel a little more comfortable at a lower body fat percent then I'm at anyway and looking good never hurt the confidence. So far I feel great despite being in exams and a little stressed.
The Vegan Quesadilla was a recipe I came up with as I was grocery shopping today. I sauteed up some red peppers, red onion, jalepenos, and garlic, then mixed it in with some chopped spinach and an avacado. Mashed all that together with some lime juice, chipotle chilli powder, paprika, cumin, sea salt, and pepper. Then put the filling between two whole wheat tortillas and put it in the oven until the tortillas were crunchy and served it with some salsa. This recipe kicked ass and I'm rather proud of myself for coming up with a great tasting vegan version. Didn't miss the cheese or meat at all, I actually prefer the version I made

1 comment:

  1. Good to see that you are back - the vegan diet would be too hard for me, but if it works for you, then it's a go. Congrats ont he Blues invite, too, man.

    ReplyDelete